Job Id: 63832
Principal Telecom Engineer
Our client is seeking a Principal Telecom Engineer to join their organization. As the Principal Telecom Engineer (PTE), you will be responsible for leading and overseeing the design and development of complex engineering projects. Your expertise as a licensed professional engineer will be crucial in ensuring the highest standards of safety, functionality, and compliance are met throughout the design process. You will play a key role in guiding the engineering team, collaborating with leadership, and delivering innovative solutions. The PTE will work closely with multiple departments to ensure synergy and process efficiency are achieved for the assigned accounts and/or large projects.
This individual will also become involved at the very inception and will remain actively involved throughout the entire lifecycle for all big projects and be customer-facing with our client's important clients. The ability to communicate very effectively on all levels is a must. This individual must also be knowledgeable in the various DAS public safety and carriers’ design requirements and all of the major OEM’s equipment as well as various fire code requirements applicable to various jurisdictions throughout the company’s area of service.
This role is a hybrid model for training and will transition to mostly remote. Candidates local to Portland, Oregon or Seattle, Washington.
Principal Telecom Engineer Responsibilities
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to a team of design engineers and specialists, ensuring adherence to engineering standards, codes, and regulations.
- Oversee the design process, from conceptualization to detailed design, ensuring the implementation of best practices and sound engineering principles.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including architects, project managers, and contractors, to ensure seamless integration of engineering designs with other project requirements.
Design and Analysis:
- Lead the design and analysis of complex engineering systems, structures, or components, utilizing your expertise in the relevant engineering discipline.
- Conduct thorough engineering analysis, simulations, and calculations to validate and optimize design solutions.
- Ensure compliance with applicable codes, regulations, and industry standards throughout the design process.
- Manage and prioritize multiple design projects simultaneously, ensuring timely completion within budgetary and schedule constraints.
- Develop project scopes, budgets, and timelines in collaboration with the project collaborators.
- Develop detailed system descriptions along with the BOMs (Bill of Materials)
- Monitor project progress, identify risks, and implement mitigation strategies to ensure successful project delivery.
- Provide remote assistance to our Service teams during project implementations; Assistance includes oversight of DAS/BDA commissioning, testing and optimization to assure the newly installed system has met internal and external specifications.
- Read and analyze construction drawings and blueprints and design constructible DAS projects.
- Work with our proposal team to develop accurate DAS quotes and proposals and respond to complex RFPs.
Quality Assurance and Compliance:
- Ensure designs meet or exceed applicable safety, quality, and performance standards.
- Perform design reviews, inspections, and quality control processes to verify compliance with engineering requirements.
- Collaborate with regulatory authorities and third-party consultants to obtain necessary approvals and certifications.
- Attend occasional customer meetings including travel to project locations (only OR, WA or CA)
Documentation and Reporting:
- Prepare comprehensive engineering reports, specifications, and technical documentation to accurately communicate design concepts and requirements.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date project documentation, including design calculations, drawings, and revisions.
- Effectively communicate project progress, challenges, and recommendations to project stakeholders, including management and clients.
- Other duties as assigned.
- The position will oversee and supervisor the Engineering group. This may consist of up to 5 to 7 Engineers and 2 to 4 Specialists, Coordinators and/or administrative individuals that report to the Engineering group.
Team Leadership and Management:
- Provide leadership, guidance, and direction to a team, set clear goals and expectations for the team, aligning them with the company's objectives.
- Monitor and manage the workload, ensuring appropriate resource allocation and project assignments.
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive team environment that promotes creativity, innovation, and continuous improvement.
- Conduct regular performance evaluations for each team member, providing constructive feedback on their strengths and areas for development.
- Set performance goals and development plans, supporting engineers in their professional growth and advancement.
- Recognize and reward exceptional performance, promoting a culture of excellence and motivation.
Technical Guidance and Support:
- Provide technical expertise and guidance to Design Engineers, assisting them in overcoming technical challenges and ensuring adherence to industry standards and best practices.
- Stay up to date with industry trends, emerging technologies, and advancements in the field to mentor and guide the team effectively.
Project Oversight and Coordination:
- Oversee the progress of design projects led by Design team, ensuring alignment with project goals, timelines, and budgets.
- Coordinate with other departments, such as project management, procurement, and quality assurance, to ensure smooth project execution.
- Monitor project risks, issues, and dependencies, proactively addressing them to mitigate any potential disruptions.
Collaboration and Communication:
- Foster effective communication and collaboration among team members and with leadership.
- Facilitate cross-functional collaboration, encouraging Design team to work closely with other departments.
- Communicate project updates, progress, and challenges to senior management and stakeholders, providing transparency and managing expectations.
Quality Assurance and Continuous Improvement:
- Establish and maintain quality control processes and standards to ensure the delivery of high-quality designs.
- Review and provide feedback on design documentation, ensuring accuracy, compliance, and adherence to standards.
- Identify opportunities for process improvement and implement changes to optimize design workflows, efficiency, and effectiveness.
Talent Development and Succession Planning:
- Identify training and development needs within the team and provide opportunities for skill enhancement.
- Support career progression and professional growth for Design team, assisting them in reaching their full potential.
- Identify potential successors and create succession plans to ensure continuity and talent pipeline development.
Principal Telecom Engineer Qualifications
- Minimum of six (6) years in-building DAS design and customer-facing experience in cellular and public safety; Other disciplines of design and management experience will be considered based on similarity to in-building wireless design and overall ability.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in an engineering discipline (e.g., Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, etc.).
- Professional Engineer (PE) license in the relevant engineering discipline.
- Strong knowledge of engineering principles, codes, standards, and regulations.
- Proficiency in engineering design software and tools relevant to the discipline.
- Experience in project management, including budgeting, scheduling, and resource allocation.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills, with the ability to evaluate complex engineering challenges and propose innovative solutions.
- Effective communication skills, with the ability to present technical information clearly and concisely to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Leadership abilities, including the capability to mentor and guide junior engineers.
- iBwave and AutoCAD Certification and proficiency with the software.
- RF experience and/or knowledge is a must! General RF theory and radio signal propagation expertise
- Extremely comfortable in a fast-paced environment that requires excellent time management and the ability to multi-task and prioritize effectively.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills along with the ability to work well under pressure and multitask. Individuals must also be able to prioritize multiple high-priority projects, work schedule and workload.
Licenses & Certifications:
- PE (Professional Engineer) in OR, CA and WA.
Salary: $150,000-$170,000/year. (DOE)
Medical, Dental, Vision, 8 holidays, 401K match of 3%, and more.
VanderHouwen is an award-winning, Women-Owned, WBENC certified professional staffing firm. Founded in 1987, VanderHouwen has been successfully placing experienced professionals throughout the Pacific Northwest and nationwide. Our recruitment teams are highly specialized in either Technology and IT, Engineering, or Accounting and Finance career markets. Our recruiters value building meaningful, professional relationships with each candidate as well as developing honed knowledge of companies' staffing needs and workplaces. Partner with us to land your next exciting career.
VanderHouwen is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify. VanderHouwen does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state or federal civil rights laws.
- Junior QA Engineer
- Associate Business Analyst
- Project Manager – Associate
- Lead Systems Design Engineer
- Client Success Project Manager
- Lead Data Engineer
- Customer Experience Strategist
- Senior Analyst, Corp Compliance
- Compliance Officer
- Large Group Benefits Manager, Healthcare Products
Thank you for your interest in applying for this position! Please fill out the fields below. Your profile will be reviewed with the rest of the applicants.