Job Id: 61600
Electrical & Software Engineering Manager
Our client is seeking an Electrical & Software Engineering Manager to join their organization in Tualatin, Oregon. As the leader of the Electrical and Software Engineering team, you will be responsible for guiding the team to deliver high-quality electrical and electronic circuit designs and their associated software (firmware). You will be responsible for supporting the Advanced Development and Product Development phases of our new product development projects, as well as software (firmware) updates for our existing products. You are expected to accomplish this through planning, directing, standardizing, and improving the efficiency of design processes to deliver high-quality designs. You will work closely with all areas of Engineering and the company to ensure product functions are met and maintained. Minimal supervision is required, and you are expected to take the initiative to work collaboratively within your team and other departments.
This role is a hybrid model in Tualatin, Oregon.
Electrical & Software Engineering Manager Responsibilities
- Provide daily personnel management including clear communication of goals and expectations while ensuring compliance to company policies.
- Assess the performance of team members.
- Create and help execute personal development plans for team members.
- Support the VP of Engineering in determining staffing needs.
- Participate in annual expense budget planning and manage annual expense budget.
- Participate in annual CAPEX budget planning and propose new equipment solutions.
- Interview and hire new staff as needed.
- Represent Electrical & Software Engineering issues and interests within the projects and organization.
- Provide engineering support to Advanced Development projects to meet project performance targets and key milestones.
- Support senior engineers in developing electrical architectures that meet new product requirements within cost and schedule.
- Develop new AIM (Active Injury Mitigation) technologies through research and/or within Advanced Development projects.
- Provide preliminary BOM cost estimates.
- Work with team members and Engineering Project Manager to plan work packages.
- Provide BOM cost estimates from detailed design packages.
- Assess the quality of designs and qualification (test) plans.
- Ensure compliance with external product and device standards including collaboration with Product Compliance Engineer.
- Provide project management support as necessary.
- Manage software-related sustaining engineering activities.
- Support Operations and Sustaining Engineering teams to ensure up-time and low defect rate for brake cartridge programming.
- Support Sustaining Engineering, Service, and Sales teams to analyze and resolve warranty issues and customer complaints.
- Develop best practices and standardization for electrical and software engineering tools and processes.
- Approve new and revised designs.
- Working closely with IT, managing databases, systems, and processes for creating and maintaining electrical product information.
- Identify potential (IP) intellectual property to expand the company’s patent coverage and present them to VP of Engineering.
- Manage electrical engineering lab, equipment, and supplies.
Electrical & Software Engineering Manager Qualifications
- Bachelor of Engineering degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Mechatronics, Electro-Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent.
- 5+ years of related industry experience.
- Proficiency in electrical circuit design or embedded firmware programming and working knowledge of the other.
- Demonstrated experience with system-level design, integration, and testing.
- Proficiency with electrical circuit design CAD and simulation programs and/or software versioning systems.
- Familiar with Agile development methods.
- Good familiarity with lab equipment experience (oscilloscope, logic analyzer, spectrum analyzer, LCR meter, etc.).
- Familiar with electrical compliance and regulatory requirements including EMI/EMC design requirements and testing.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and accountability to drive issues to closure.
- Demonstrated desire for learning and applying a continuous improvement approach.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and work collaboratively, especially to non-technical team members.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office tools.
- Master of Engineering degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Mechatronics, Electro-Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent.
- 5+ years working in a new product development environment, preferably power tools or another appliance.
- 1+ years managing an electrical design, software design, or electrical testing team.
- Experience using Pulsonix electrical CAD program.
- Familiarity with SolidWorks PDM tool or equivalent vault and versioning application.
- Demonstrated experience leading teams in Agile development methods.
- Experience and demonstrated expertise in analog and mixed-signal circuit board design, such as low-level current and voltage measurement applications, sensitive measuring equipment, etc.
- Experience and demonstrated expertise in writing embedded C code for microcontrollers.
- Expertise in specifying and operating electrical lab equipment.
- Experience working with Asian manufacturing companies.
- Experience using table saws and other woodworking tools.
- Hands-on practical skills – the ability to build up prototype PCBAs.
An Ideal Candidate
- Has 7-10 years of design experience showing progressive complexity.
- Has demonstrated expertise in either HW (hardware) or FW (embedded firmware) design.
- If HW, has experience designing analog and mixed-signal circuits, for example, low-level current and voltage measurement circuits.
- If FW, has experience with writing code in embedded C on microcontrollers.
- Understands digital signal processing.
- Understands product development of a consumer product (or similar) well and can organize the design processes efficiently.
- Has experience developing and managing a design (product) architecture.
- Has experience writing and developing technical specifications.
- Has been a manager for 1-4 years with a team size of 3-5.
- Is excited about mentoring young engineers and has experience mentoring.
- Has excellent problem-solving skills.
- Is willing and able to work side-by-side with their team.
- Some international travel is required (<10%).
Our client offers dental, vision, basic life and AD&D Insurance, 401k retirement plans with company match, short-term and long-term disability insurance, an employee assistance program for mental health services to eligible employees.
VanderHouwen is an award-winning, Women-Owned, WBENC certified professional staffing firm. Founded in 1987, VanderHouwen has been successfully placing experienced professionals throughout the Pacific Northwest and nationwide. Our recruitment teams are highly specialized in either Technology and IT, Engineering, or Accounting and Finance career markets. Our recruiters value building meaningful, professional relationships with each candidate as well as developing honed knowledge of companies’ staffing needs and workplaces. Partner with us to land your next exciting career.
VanderHouwen is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify. VanderHouwen does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state or federal civil rights laws.
- Geotechnical Project Manager
- Senior Electrical Engineer (circuit board design)
- Process Engineer
- Applications Scientist
- Electrical Engineer
- Controls Engineer
- Senior Mechanical Engineer
- Senior Embedded Firmware Engineer
- Electrical Designer
- Test Engineer – CAD / Manufacturing
Thank you for your interest in applying for this position! Please fill out the fields below. Your profile will be reviewed with the rest of the applicants.