Backend Software Engineer
Our client is seeking a Backend Software Engineer to assist their organization. As a Backend Software Engineer in the client's brand protection space, you’ll bring a passion for building software systems and provide tools, capabilities, and data for the client to maintain brand standards and product pipelines across all of their brands, categories, and geographies. You’ll bring not only deep technical skills but also the ability to coordinate technical standards and processes. Your work will be in a full-stack development environment, including backend services and mobile or front-end user experiences.
This role is fully remote.
Backend Software Engineer Responsibilities
- Lead back-end feature/solution delivery with diverse team members.
- Deliver solutions using scalable, resilient, cloud-native patterns.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including front-end developers, product managers, and DevOps engineers, to define API requirements and translate them into technical specifications.
- Create High Level and Low-Level Designs to review with architects, principal engineers, and other leads for alignment.
- Design, develop, deploy, and maintain RESTful APIs and microservices on AWS, using technologies such as AWS Lambda, API Gateway, DynamoDB, RDS, and more.
- Work with tools and frameworks to ensure the security, reliability, and maintainability of our cloud container platform, with a good understanding of distributed systems.
- Utilize continuous delivery (CI/CD) patterns and software-defined infrastructure in a DevOps and micro-services-focused organization, automate deployment pipelines, and manage infrastructure as code using tools like CloudFormation or Terraform.
- Deliver well-documented and well-tested code, as well as conduct and approve code via peer reviews.
- Optimize API performance, responsiveness, and scalability to support growing user demands and traffic spikes.
- Implement authentication and authorization mechanisms to ensure data security and access control.
- Partner in the design and development of a technical solution that meets the needs of the business and aligns with architectural and quality standards.
- Independently identify, define, direct, and/or perform analysis to resolve complex issues and greenfield design.
- Actively contribute to the company's technical documentation, sharing knowledge and promoting best practices.
- Participate in the design and development of technical solutions.
- Ensure the effective and quality performance of assigned components.
- Ensure knowledge sharing within the team and across teams.
- Deliver functional, reliable, secure, well-tested, and performant code.
Backend Software Engineer Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering, Information Systems, or a similar field or combination of relevant professional experience, education, and training.
- 4+ years of deep experience in deployments/developments in the public cloud infrastructure (AWS preferred: DynamoDB, S3, lambdas, open search, typescript, Python, Node.js, Java, APIs, Kafka Streams, Security groups etc.).
- Diverse and deep experience in data management, Template technologies, micro-services, RESTful API design principles such as versioning, pagination, error handling, and authentication.
- Advanced working knowledge with NoSQL data stores such as DynamoDB and optional Graph DB, and other AWS services such as Lambda, API Gateway, DynamoDB, RDS, SQS, SNS, etc.
- Experience with observability tools such as New Relic, SignalFx, and Splunk.
- Familiarity with serverless architecture and event-driven programming.
- Experience working in a large-scale agile environment.
- Knowledge of various continuous delivery patterns & CI/CD pipelines, version control systems (e.g., Git), and automated testing frameworks.
- Strong problem-solving skills, an innovative mindset, and a proactive approach to challenges.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to explain technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- Experience working in an Agile development environment. Scrum / Kanban experience required – Design thinking preferred.
Compensation: $70-$75/hr. (DOE)
Benefits are available to eligible VanderHouwen contractors and include coverage for medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long term disability, and matching 401k.
VanderHouwen is an award-winning, Women-Owned, WBENC certified professional staffing firm. Founded in 1987, VanderHouwen has been successfully placing experienced professionals throughout the Pacific Northwest and nationwide. Our recruitment teams are highly specialized in either Technology and IT, Engineering, or Accounting and Finance career markets. Our recruiters value building meaningful, professional relationships with each candidate as well as developing honed knowledge of companies' staffing needs and workplaces. Partner with us to land your next exciting career.
VanderHouwen is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify. VanderHouwen does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state or federal civil rights laws.
Thank you for your interest in applying for this position! Please fill out the fields below. Your profile will be reviewed with the rest of the applicants.